Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Whole Truth about the People's Choice


Hello, I am Terra Strong, recently elected Miss Tennessee State University by a majority vote of the student body, then abruptly stripped of the position.  I am now ready to tell my story about the Miss TSU situation. I have waited nearly a month to tell this story because I had hoped that by now I could quietly work with the university administration to resolve the issue and get an opportunity to get my position back, but that has not happened. So now I want to explain what happened.

I approached the professor of a course last spring because I was concerned about maintaining the “B” grade I had received at midterm, given my busy schedule. After going over some options, the professor suggested that I take an Incomplete or “I” and finish the course over the summer when I had time.  Of course I am always concerned about my grades, so I agreed to accept the “I.”  I never would have opted for an “I” had I believed that this would have the kind of future ramifications that it did. After all, I am a strong student, and I had a B in the class at midterm.

To be clear, I have always been aware of the qualifications of post-certification. My issue is how the policies were interpreted in my case. When the university performed its post certification process, I found out that that since I had taken the “I,” I would not receive the 3 credits the course in question carried, and since I only took 14 credits, during the spring term 2012, I had only earned 11 credits, one credit shy of the 12 required to maintain the position as Miss TSU.

At first, upon meeting with the president and members of her cabinet, I was led to believe that I would have a chance to rectify the situation.  The professor called me and said she was told to work with her to get the work in by weeks end. The professor also sent me an email message that same day indicating what I would need to complete to receive a grade.  Yet later that day, I was called to the president’s office, where I was informed that the decision was made that the policy would stand.  At that time, I was offered what was described to me and my mother as a “solution” to the situation:  since I had enough credits to graduate, but not with my intended degree in Commercial Music Business with a minor in Business Administration, I could change my major to Interdisciplinary Studies, take my diploma, and leave “with my head held high.” Naturally, I was offended by this “solution.” I felt like the administration was trying to find a way for me to leave TSU quietly, regardless of what my academic goals and career aspirations are.

All of this happened AFTER the university administration requested that I sing at the Spring graduation, and listed me in the program as Terra Strong, Miss Tennessee State University, 2012-2013.  All of this happened AFTER the university directed me to enter the Ebony Magazine HBCU Campus Queens online competition, arranging for professionals to prepare photos and a video for the contest. All of this happened AFTER the university arranged for me to interview with Channel 5 to encourage viewers to visit the Ebony website.

I want to address the reasons the university have based their decision to disqualify me from the Miss TSU position. I want to be clear – I am not asking for special treatment, I am not blaming anyone for what happened, but based on the ambiguity of the policies related to this issue, and the lack of clarity in how they would be administered, and actions taken by the university, I believe I should be given the opportunity to resolve the situation and get my position back.

The university cites the following statement in the Student Handbook:

All candidates (winners, runners-up) shall be certified by Student Affairs in conjunction with the adviser to SEC to hold office after final spring semester grades are posted (to determine whether or not students have met credit hours and a 2.5 or better cumulative grade point average requirement to hold the office.”

The university fails to recognize its own definition of an Incomplete as indicated in the University Catalog:

‘”Incomplete” is a temporary grade which must be removed from the undergraduate student‘s permanent record within one semester from the end of the term in which the ―I‖ grade was awarded.”

According to this statement, an incomplete is not a final grade. I submit that they have not received my final grade yet.

Also, the university cited the following from the SGA Constitution:

“The elected student should show evidence of having earned the equivalent of at least 12 credit hours (excludes remedial and developmental hours) during the semester in which the election is held and earned a 2.5 cumulative and 2.3 semester grade point average.”

I have met with my professor and have arranged to complete the work needed to receive a final grade. When that grade is posted, it will appear on my transcript as having been earned during the Spring 2012 semester. Again, I want to reiterate that this was a class I was doing reasonably well in, not a class I was struggling in. If I had understood the ramifications of taking an Incomplete, I never would have done it, believe me.

The university administration also refers to a meeting and follow-up email regarding the post-certification process. Neither the meeting, nor the email dealt with the specifics of the post-certification process. Had I known, even on April 30, 2012, that on May 11, 2012, my grades would have been certified, and I would have been disqualified as Miss TSU, I would have been less worried about getting an A in the class, and would have settled for doing whatever I could to get a passing grade to retain the position. Those of you who know me and support me know that I would have moved heaven and earth to keep my position, had I known.

I keep coming back to the question of why university officials would have allowed me to sing in the graduation and list me in the program as Miss Tennessee State University 2012-2013 if they had not officially certified me as Miss TSU.  Why would they have allowed me to represent the university in the contest of a national publication?  Why would they send me to the local television station as Miss TSU 2012-2013 to garner support for the Ebony contest? None of those things had to happen if I was not officially Miss TSU.  My mother is a dean in a university. I know many people that work in other universities. They tell me that situations like this would not be resolved in a way that cause embarrassment to the student or to the university if another reasonable solution could be pursued.

The president told both my mother and me that the university has an image problem, and that is why they had to follow the policies in this case. I do not have the degrees or years of professional experience that the university officials making these decisions have. But I could have come up with something more appropriate than causing public humiliation to a student who had done nothing illegal, immoral, or unethical; making a decision with ambiguous policies that are easily challengeable on all kinds of levels; offering a high performing student a “solution” of changing her major to Interdisciplinary Studies” and leaving the university “with her head held high,” and leaving the university without the opportunity for its campus queen to be represented in Ebony Magazine in the institution’s centennial year. As a student who loves Tennessee State University, I think their actions against me represent a much worse image problem than they would have had if they had allowed me the opportunity to resolve the situation and retain my crown.

Since this whole thing happened, I have received an outpouring of support from fellow students, alumni, faculty, family and friends. Very interestingly, I have received support from alumni who were former SGA officers , Mr. TSUs, and Miss TSUs who found themselves in the same position I was in, disqualified at post-certification. The ones I heard from indicated they were given a chance to rectify their situations so that they could serve in their positions. While the times they were given varied in each situation, they were all given opportunities that I was not given. Some of those alumni have reached out, in vain, to the university leadership with descriptions of their stories, asking why I wasn’t afforded the same opportunities they were. I know this because I was copied on emails to the president from these alumni. Their pleas went unanswered.  No response to successful alumni expressing their concerns! I truly appreciate the efforts of those alumni. 

The fact that others before me have successfully challenged their post certification results says to me is that the university has established a precedent for the way they handle challenges to post-certification. I am not clear as to why they chose to disregard my request for further resolution rather acknowledge that the process needs clearer clarification through perhaps a revision of the policies.

I worked very hard to become Miss TSU. I strived to make my campaign about me, about my accomplishments, and about what I would do for the better of the university as Miss TSU.  However, I want to give you some background about me that goes to the core of why I love Tennessee State University and why I was so elated to represent the university, and so heartbroken when the position was taken away from me.

I don’t brag about my heritage, but I have a long lineage of relatives that attended Tennessee State University. Most people don’t think about that because I am from Cincinnati. My grandfather, Dr. Bailey W. Turner, who died in 2011, was a proud graduate of TSU in 1956. He was born in Sadlersville, Tennessee and grew up in Clarksville. He moved to Cincinnati in 1958 and became very active in the civil rights movement in Cincinnati and throughout the state of Ohio. He also was very active with the local TSU alumni chapter in Cincinnati. In 1965, the National Alumni Chapter of TSU named him Alumnus of the Year. His mother and my great grandmother, Lady W. Turner, was also a graduate of TSU. Having been a teacher for many years without a bachelor’s degree, she was inspired by her son, my grandfather, to go back to school. They graduated from TSU in the same year. My great grandmother had two brothers, Emmanuel Weed and Malcolm Weed Sr., who graduated from TSU. My great, great uncle Emmanuel Weed is listed in a 1928 commencement program on the TSU website. Cousins Malcolm Weed Jr., Jane Weed, and Jessica Hale, all deceased now, were graduates of TSU. I have living relatives who are graduates of TSU, and at least one cousin currently attending TSU. I am related to so many people in Tennessee that I do not know the extent of my family connections to TSU.

This situation cuts to the core of my being. Not to brag, but the reality is, I graduated from Cincinnati’s School for Creative and Performing Arts, with honors. I could have chosen any number of colleges to attend. Or, like many of my high school classmates, I could have gone right into the entertainment industry. But I was drawn to TSU through my family heritage. I believed that this would be a safe, fair environment for me to spend my formative years as a young adult. Never did I think that I would come into an environment where I would work hard and excel for four years, only to be treated like I had done something illegal or immoral. Never would I have thought that I would be put in a position where an administration would outspokenly talk about “putting students first” and then interpret questionable policies against me, a student.

            For those of you who supported me in my efforts to become Miss TSU, I am sorry that all of this has happened. I wanted you, and everyone else for that matter, to know the truth, and to understand that I did not intentionally or irresponsibly lose the Miss TSU title. Please feel free to contact the university administration by phone or email, or however else you deem appropriate and express your concerns about what has happened. Despite what has happened, I still want to be Miss TSU.  For the university administration, who suggested that I change my major to Interdisciplinary Studies and immediately leave the university, please know that I have no intention of doing so. I have met with my professor and intend to finish the course as soon as possible.  I intend to stay at Tennessee State University as long as it takes to complete the degrees of my choosing, regardless of whether I am Miss TSU or not.  I will “hold my head high” regardless!


10 comments:

  1. I feel you did the right thing and as a strong Black Woman as you are,
    i know that things will work in your favor. God will bless those in His favor and will condemn those who work for evil. I will continue to pray for you and yours and I hope everything works out. Stay strong hun, its not over until you say it is. You have my blessing. Love you always hun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a thing as this should not be so complicated.Even though higher officials of the school are indeed experienced, nothing disregards their overlooking of true integrity,strong determination,and a driven spirit. After all, isn't that what they expect from us? Isn't that the "so called" legacy of our school?Sorry for the discomfort this has brought you.Still, this is but a small portion of your life with so much more great things to be done by you.Thanks for your response to your followers,and never get tired of moving forward-moving strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to thank everyone who read this blog and understood its purpose. It is not to whine and complain. I want people to understand the full true story of what happened. I know that some people appreciate that. Of course I'm still fighting. If anybody knows there are consequences to actions it is me! But I was raised to fight. And what is life without things to fight for! I WILL NOT and HAVE NOT stopped working on my career goals and aspirations. There is more to come from Terra Strong. But I won this one thing I worked VERY hard for and I am forever in debt to my supporters. Whining is giving up. Complaining is throwing in the towel. I am STRIVING. The fight won't always be for the same thing; Miss TSU is a life lesson for me. This will never happen again to me. I appreciate this experience and every other opportunity God has placed in my path. Losing this title has drawn a lot of supporters, new friends, old friends, family, sorors, community leaders to my network; Lots of Miss TSUs, SGA leaders and past advisors who support my situation 100 percent. Again, I thank God for His experiences! Everything happens for a reason. I will play to him everyday. I even thank him for the people on twitter who ABSOLUTELY wish hell on me. I will praise God everyday. If anything my faith is stronger. I want to thank him for taking selfishness from my heart do that I can go focus on REAL problems in he world. I have been blessed. I was ELECTED Miss Tennessee State University! Less than 90 women can say that. I find solace in knowing that I can still be an inspiration to some people. Excuse my rampage! Love you all! I love TSU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps some do not realize that Miss Tennessee State University is part of the student government and serves as a representative for the students. Terra, you are a dynamic role model! I commend you for being hired and starting a new job last week, continuing to travel with and be a part of the premier Jimmy Church Band, being selected as one of the finalists for the BET Awards Next Big Star, and just completing a paid professional video shoot. You have chosen to be responsible. You are doing all of this while peacefully staying put and standing your ground no matter what the outcome. This display of courage and endurance as well as your talent is a testament as to why you were selected as Miss Tennessee State University by a majority vote of the student body. Please continue to be strong and kind and simply put...add your haters to your list of motivators.
    Love you,
    Auntie Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tera I love you. From summer 2011 to now, I have seen major growth and development in you. Your an awesome woman of God and always remember that Gods people get persecuted for living righteous and holy. One scripture that comes to my mind is that the wealth of the wicked is stored up for the just. Your in the just audience, so stay holy in everything you do and do not give the enemy any room to dictate who you should be in regards to what God is doing. Allow God to finish the good work he has begun in you. I love you. You will always be Miss TSU in my books. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am behind you 100%. I see the REAL truth finally. Thanks for posting this, and TSU this is wrong. She won fair and square, but something always bad happens. I hope you get your position back, and be the BEST Ms. TSU that you can be. I'm #TerraSquad . . . . . . . .. GOD has your back, like, B. Haskins always says. Believe that GOD can make a way, and stay positive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No weapon formed against you shall prosper. God gonna turn it around!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As Faculty Senate Chair, I am on the President's Cabinet. SO WHY WAS I NOT NOTIFIED ABOUT THE MEETING YOU REFER TO??? Right, you're not the one to ask; just amazing. Terra, Prof. Davis, your Black Arts and Lit teacher and Chair of the Faculty Senate. Tweet this to the world: it was recently learned that the Associate Vice Provost, in violation of at least 3 acceditation principles, in violation of written procedures (p. 44, Faculty Handbook), in violation of Federal guidelines stated in the accreditation principles, without the knowledge or consent of
    faculty, without their having been a successful grade appeal, without any discernable reason that
    can be fathomed by the human mind: in Spring, CHANGED OVER 100 Incompletes to C. Not that I'm advocating a 2nd act of fraud, but if for other students, why not you? In any case, "No lie can
    live forever," as MLK liked to quote Thomas Carlyle. Question: if you were sacked after being
    rightfully elected, what happens to those who commit, condone, or do not object publicly to
    dshonesty of the highest order...Now, remind me of how you did something worse than what I
    described. Remember: 'Faith is the evidence of things not seen'--TRULY. And justice is arrived at
    by vigilence, conviction, ethics, character, integrity--'I woukd rather be a footstool in the house of
    the Lord' than to live with no ethics. Fight on! Email 141watson@gmail.com; 615-244-2735: you
    have MORE SUPPORT THAN YOU EVEN KNOW. Contact me, phone or Facebook or email.

    ReplyDelete